Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Topic 1: Burrage 1

Charles Burrage

Mr. Reese

Eng 11

15 March 2017

                    A Lesson Before Dying

  I chose this topic because I understand where Wiggins is coming from. He's frustrated from everything that is going on in his life. Wiggins didn't have to bring his problems and relationship into his work place. He should've left it outside of the classroom and church. Also, he didn't have to take his anger out on the children. Unfortunately, even though Wiggins doesn't have faith  in God,  he still teaches the kids about the Bible. He loses his faith,  because Wiggins thinks it's all a fib. He thinks God doesn't help him in life. He realized that God is real and he regains his faith. Throughout the story I realized how wiggins and I are the same. The only thing I don't agree with is him losing his faith. No matter what you should never question God and the things he do or put you through.
  For my first quote, I chose the line, "We black men have failed to protect our women since the time of slavery. We, stay here in the South and are broken, or we run away and leave them alone to look after the children and themselves." This quote came from chapter 21 and was said from Grant. This quote represent the effects that slavery has during this time and in this story. Even though it ended, it still made it hard for people not only in the south, but for people anywhere. My second quote is "Do I know how a man who is supposed to die? Am I supposed to tell someone how to die who has never lived?" This quote came from chapter 4 and also came from Grant Wiggins. This quote represents that Grant doesn't know what to tell Jefferson about becoming a man. This is the reason he asks for help to teach him how to be a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment